Online Doctor of Philosophy Program
We will begin accepting applications for the fall 2024 cohort starting in January 2024.
Students applying for admission to the GW’s Online Engineering Programs must meet the graduate entrance requirements of the Online Engineering Programs. See below for the necessary entrance criteria for your program of interest.
Please note that prospective students are allowed to apply for the D.Eng or Ph.D. program – not both. Our office will not process dual applications.
Step One: Review the Admissions Requirements
- Minimum of bachelor’s and master’s degrees in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or a closely related field from recognized institutions.
- A minimum graduate level GPA of 3.5
- A minimum of two college-level calculus courses passed with grades of B- or better
- TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores are required of all applicants who are not citizens of countries where English is the official language. Learn more at the SEAS English language requirements and exemption policy page. Test scores may not be more than two years old.
- Capacity for original scholarship.
Note: GRE and GMAT scores are not required to complete the application packet, but can be submitted to strengthen the application.
Please note that our doctoral programs are highly selective; meeting minimum admissions requirements does not guarantee admission.
Join our Doctoral mailing list to be notified when information is released regarding future Ph.D. cohorts.
Step Two: Submit Application and Supporting Documents
To speed our review of your application for admission, order your official transcripts and prepare all other materials before submitting your application. Within 30 days of submitting the application, all supplemental application materials must be received by the admissions office. After that time, the file will be rejected as incomplete. Applications for this doctoral program will be accepted until the application deadline (once provided) or all available seats have been filled.
Complete application packets include:
- Completed Application for Graduate Admission (will be available in January 2024)
- Order Your Official Transcripts – Request that official transcripts, in English, be sent to our office directly from all colleges or universities attended, whether or not a degree was earned. Contact the institutions you attended previously to learn the process for requesting official transcripts. mail to:
- Online Engineering Programs
The George Washington University
170 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660
- Online Engineering Programs
- Up-to-Date Resume
- Statement of Purpose – In an essay of 250 words or less, state your purpose in undertaking graduate study at The George Washington University. Describe your academic objectives, research interests, and career plans; and discuss your related qualifications including collegiate, professional, and community activities, and any other substantial accomplishments not already mentioned.
- English Language Requirements: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores are required of all applicants who are not citizens of countries where English is the official language. The School of Engineering and Applied Science requires requires a TOEFL score of 600 paper-based or 100 internet-based, or an IELTS overall band score of 7.0 with no individual band score below 6.0, or a PTE score of 68.
Normally official transcripts must be received before an admission decision is rendered for the Doctor of Engineering program.
Step Three: Remain Engaged in the Admissions Process
You will receive emails from us updating you as your application goes through the admissions process.
To receive additional information via email about GW’s online Ph.D. Program in systems engineering, as it is announced please fill out the form below.