Online Doctor of Engineering in Cybersecurity Analytics
We will begin accepting applications for the next cohort with a start date of August 2024 beginning in January 2024.
Visit the Application Page to apply
The GW Online Engineering Program offers the Doctor of Engineering (D.Eng.) degree in Cybersecurity Analytics. Offered on weekends, this D.Eng. cohort will begin in January 2024 with a target graduation date of Fall 2025. Applicants should hold a master’s degree in engineering, applied science, mathematics, computer science, information technology or related field from an accredited institution.
The D.Eng. in Cybersecurity Analytics empowers the student to plan and implement security measures to:
- Protect an organization’s network and systems
- Implement strategies to track threats and monitor networks for security breaches
- Build secure and resilient computer systems with subject matter expertise in cybersecurity analytics using advanced tools and techniques to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of an organization’s data and systems.
The objectives of the Doctor of Engineering in Cybersecurity Analytics are to ensure that graduates:
- Understand and apply the process of cybersecurity analytics methods to improve the readiness of organizations to identify, prevent, and respond to cybersecurity exploits from criminal and nation state adversaries.
- Produce a praxis for use by practicing cybersecurity professionals to identify novel approaches, security architectures, and applications of technology to address real-world security concerns and common challenges in protecting digital assets.
- Apply expertise and knowledge gained during the program to drive the strategic vision of their organization to advance cybersecurity capabilities and leverage emerging technology to protect vital digital assets and enhance mission effectiveness.
The degree requires 24 credit hours of graduate level courses and a minimum of 24 credit hours of research during which the student writes and defends a praxis paper on a topic related to Cybersecurity Analytics, chosen by the student and approved by the advising committee.
Course sessions last 10 weeks. Classes meet Saturday mornings from 9:00 am-12:00 pm and afternoons from 1:00-4:00 pm (all times Eastern). This program is taught in an accelerated, cohort format in which students take all courses in lock step. Attendance at all class meetings is expected, and students must remain continuously enrolled; i.e., leaves of absence are permitted only in medical or family emergency, or in case of deployment to active military duty.
|Session||#Course||#Credit Hours||Tentative Dates|
|Fall-1 2023||2||6||August 12 – October 14, 2023|
|Fall-2 2023||2||6||October 28, 2023 – January 20, 2024|
|Spring-1 2024||2||6||February 3 – April 6, 2024|
|Spring-2 2024||2||6||April 20 – June 22, 2024|
* No classes on Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year Weekends
Upon successful completion of the classroom phase, students are registered for a minimum of 24 credit hours (ch) of SEAS 8199 Praxis Research: 3 ch in Summer 2024, 9 ch in Fall 2024, 9 ch in Spring 2025 and 3 ch in Summer 2025. Throughout the research phase, the student develops the praxis on an advisor-approved topic related to cybersecurity. Faculty research directors meet with students at least once per month.
Research Areas for Praxis
The following are examples of the research areas that our current students are pursuing:
- Addressing the Cybersecurity Malicious Insider threat
- Exploring Cybersecurity Requirements in the Defense Acquisition Process
- Internet of Things Device Cybersecurity
- Cybersecurity of Networked Home Medical Devices
- Cybersecurity Challenges in Healthcare Industries
All classes meet live online through synchronous distance learning technologies. Classes are recorded for future viewing. Tuition is billed at $1625 per credit hour for the 2022-2023 year. A non-refundable tuition deposit of $995, which is applied to tuition in the first semester, is required when the student accepts admission.
Visit the Application Page to apply
Subscribe to our email list!
To receive additional information via email about GW’s online Doctor of Engineering Program in Cybersecurity Analytics, as it is announced please fill out the form below.